Resources Links for hiring a Caregiver

Applying for caregiver under the IN HOME Caregiver Program a federal program with minor differences in each province according to Provincial labour laws.

New Employers Must Obtain a Canada Revenue Agency Business Number

Individuals hiring a foreign live-in caregiver are considered employers and must obtain a business number (BN) from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to:

  • meet the initial registration requirements for advertising on the national Job Bank website or its provincial/territorial counterpart;
  • apply for the LCP;
  • pay the worker’s wage (including vacation pay);
  • make deductions from the worker’s wage as prescribed by the law and the LCP; and
  • issue pay stubs, statements, remuneration paid (T4) or Records of Employment (ROE).

To Obtain a Business Number

A BN is a 9-digit business identifier that CRA assigns to an employer located in Canada for tax purposes.

Employers can register for a BN by:

  • Internet: Use the CRA Business Registration On-line service
  • Call the CRA Business Enquires line at 1-800-959-5525 (toll-free). Before calling- all you need to tell them is that you are in process of hiring a live in caregiver, tell them caregiver is starting in 3-4 mos otherwise they tell you to call back closer to time of hire – but you need payroll account in order to advertise on Job Bank  


  • Employers cannot use any existing company BN, should they have one, to hire a live-in caregiver. They must obtain a separate BN for the specific purpose of hiring a live-in caregiver.
  • In instances of multiple employers applying to hire a live-in caregiver, only 1 BN is required.

 Other Resources    

 What You Should Know About the Ontario Employment Standards Act

Child Tax Credit deduction –  link to an article that was updated this year

Obtain an Ontario Birth Certificate   

Resources for Caregivers and Families

on FaceBook  check out:   Dementia Caregiver Solutions   healthy recipes and cookware

health issues


Information and resources for Caregivers and other Foreign Workers 

For more information about working in Canada and your rights, please refer to the following government authorities or contact the nearest Service Canada Centre. Please note that you do not need your employer’s permission to visit the following websites. Your employer cannot punish you or have you deported for using these services.

To speak to a representative about the Federal Labour Program, call 1-800-641-4049.

For general information on government services, call 1-800-O-Canada (1-800-622-623