$17.50 elder care (minimum) rate remains unchanged for GTA in 2023
- Previously the rate was $18 so most caregivers hired in previous years are at $18
- HOWEVER in this past year Service Canada updated the MINIMUM rate to $17.50
- simple explanation means $17.50 is the lowest hourly rate an employer can legally pay a temporary resident Foreign Worker – working under LMIA or Work Permit (this is for elder care)
- this rate is for TORONTO REGION each region has its own min rate – you are welcome to send the link to your employer so they are up to date Employers can email us to ask what rate applies in their region
- For other parts of Canada check link https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/wagereport/occupation/20666
- NOTE Service Canada uses the term MEDIAN RATE – practical definition THIS IS LOWEST RATE ANY EMPLOYER IS ALLOWED TO PAY any foreign worker – If you are employer & trying to make sense of this advised to call HRSDC SERVICE CANADA 1(800)367-5693 (free service)
- yes Employers must review the foreign worker’s wage – after 12 months of employment. (interpret as review 1 year after you received Work Permit ) This is to ensure that the worker continues to receive the prevailing wage / median rate for the occupation and work location
- if you have question about median wage best to call Service Canada.
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!